The best upgrades and design trends for this year don’t seem to different from last year. A return to luxurious outside entertaining is a bit of a surprise, but if you spend your evenings at home instead of going out, it could be more economical to spend the money. What else is popular:
- Outdoor amenities such as grills, sinks, showers, and entertainment areas.
- Freestanding tubs with a separate stand-up shower in the bathroom.
- Color schemes – Earth tones, blues and blue greens, chocolate browns.
- International design influence, especially Asian design in both décor and functional products.
- Ceiling details accenting rooms within open floor plans.
- Media space for flat screen TVs and gaming systems, and living areas wired for technology.
- Organizational features, built-ins, and smart storage areas throughout the home.
- Universal design features incorporated in subtle ways.
- Artistic tile in kitchens and baths, often emulating organic patterns found in nature.
- Energy efficient products – washing machines, dish washers, toilets, and showerheads.
- LED lighting incorporated into sinks, showers, and medicine cabinets.
Source: Hot Design Trends